Thursday, March 6, 2008

For those of you who thought the IRR might be ramping down...


One of my numerous good friends named Chris just forwarded me this link. It would seem that the Army enjoyed last year's muster so much that they've--shocker of shockers--decided to throw another one!

Before I go on I should say how much I enjoy my current position, and that I believe I'm helping my team here make a significantly positive impact on the future of Afghans and Afghanistan. But that said, one wonders how long can this IRR stuff will continue. I mean, the stories you hear...

I had a very interesting chat this afternoon with a young Lieutenant who graduated Harvard in 2005 and has already been accepted to Harvard Law class of 2012 (should he decide to get out of the Army). This gentleman informed me that in 2005 they told his commissioning class to have backup plans. It would seem that the Army felt it had too many nascent LT's, and many would be asked to go to the reserves instead of active duty. This particular guy ended up going active anyways, but my question is this--how could they turn away willing active duty guys when they're recalling IRR people to fill slots elsewhere in the ranks?

Now, I fully appreciate that a brand new LT is not the same thing as a Captain with 4 or 5 years of experience (your typical IRR draftee). But let me tell you something--anyone can be Civil Affairs. I really think it's a branch like any other, not something that one has to come to later in their career as the traditional model dictates. There are already brand new 2LT's in the CAQC anyways, so why not shuffle some things around so that you utilize the manpower you have without panicing and hitting the IRR button.

So why doesn't the Army do this? The explanation I keep coming back to is that they choose to reward individuals who are voluntarily joining, while they push the burden onto those of us who had the audacity to quit. And this makes total sense from their perspective. People like me are already lost (or so they reason), so there aren't any drawbacks to alienating us through the IRR process. A brand new 2LT, on the other hand, still has their entire career in front of them. Piss them off now by sending them off to a CA gig that they really aren't interested in, and you risk pushing away someone who might have stayed in otherwise.

I honestly don't know where any of this leaves us, but all the same--good luck to all of you musterees out there. I wish you the best, and who knows? Maybe I'll see you here at the Forward Edge sooner or later...

5 comments:

Chris said...

All of this because we are supposedly in the midst of a "National Emergency."

The mismanagement of the officer personnel system has caused the shortage today. Unfortunately the remedy to the shortage only makes the problem worse. Brave patriots like Andrew, any many others, have to pay the price that the American public is not willing to pay in order to wage this war.

Mrs. Exnicios said...

I had a "discussion" with one of my FELP interns last summer. I questioned why the Army was choosing to take Combat Arms captains and send them to law school or business school for 2-3 years (removing them from the deployment and real functioning of the Army for that period of time) while people like my husband had to be recalled from civilian life. Clearly we both had different points of view on this, but I agree with Andrew. It is unfair to allow announce that the Army is so in need of Captains, but to mismanage those Captains on active duty so poorly. I hope it will come as no surprise to the Army when I choose not to muster for $190 next year.

Mrs. Exnicios said...

PS It should be FLEP and its Funded Legal Education Program - when the Army pays for active duty Army captains to go to law school. And pays them. So they go to law school. And draw a full salary while they are there. And are out of deployment schedule while they do. And then makes them JAGs.

Kevin said...

Hey if anyone is interesting in joining my IRR recall group on Facebook just do a search for "U.S. Army IRR recalls"---Kevin

Anonymous said...

熊貓情色,美女遊戲區,成人dvd,qq聊天室,aaa片免費看,手槍美女賞圖,家庭教師影片,洪爺情色,麗的色情遊戲,爽翻天成人情趣,qq聊天室,影音日誌,情色典獄長,520聊天室,080 中部人聊天室,成人文章,a片短片,成人貼圖區,免費av,杜蕾斯免費a片,柔情聊天網,豆豆聊天室,性感影片,台灣kiss情色,台灣自拍,都都成人站,小魔女自拍天堂,aaaa片,男男貼圖區,交友私樂園,麗的線上小遊戲,卡通a片,免費情色小說,性感影片,情色聊天室,成人貼圖區,免費av,xxx383美女寫真,正妹強力版,無碼女優,女同聊天室,性愛聊天室,飯島愛,美眉,臺灣情色網,100one百萬成人貼電影,正妹強力牆,bobo寫真女郎影片,av女優,383成人,情人視訊,

3d美女圖,小莉影音像館,情色武俠小說,色美眉部落格,台灣無限貼圖區,完美女人影音網,辣美眉173show影片,自拍a片,kiss情色,熊貓貼圖區列表,自拍貼圖,s383情色大網咖,85cc免費影城,a片圖片,寫真女郎攝影網,豆豆聊天,嘟嘟貼圖,美女自拍,自拍a片,hcg 貼圖區,卡通成人網,聊天室avooo,自拍偷拍,情色文學小說,情色交友,ut男同志聊天室,成人電影,正妹星球,無碼光碟,做愛自拍,爽翻天成人用品,歐美模特兒寫真,999成人性站,免費遊戲,成人動畫,aaaaa片俱樂部,免費線上成人影片,丁字褲美女寫真,老婆自拍,漂亮寶貝,聊天室,情色小遊戲,080 中部人聊天室,裸體寫真,線上看a片,18禁地少女遊戲,後宮情色網,日本女優,月宮貼圖區,